Serves 5 to 7
For the dough:
- Two prepared pizza crusts
- 1 package instant yeast
- 3 ¼ to 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups very warm water (120 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 1/3 cup shortening (gently dissolved in microwave and cooled)
- 2 tbsp. honey (dissolved in warm water)
- 1 tsp salt
For the toppings:
- 2 cups Monte Bene Tomato Basil pasta sauce
- 2/3 lb. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded or sliced
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, sliced
- 12 fresh basil leaves
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine 2 cups flour, instant yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add water and honey mixture and shortening, mixing until well blended (1 to 2 minutes). Gradually add remaining flour until a soft, round dough begins to form. Dough should be slightly sticky. Remove dough from bowl and place on floured surface. Knead dough until it is smooth and elastic (about 4 minutes). Divide dough in half and roll each half into a ball. With floured hands, spread dough onto a lightly flour-coated cooking sheet. Pinch the edges to form a crust.
Spread Monte Bene Tomato Basil pasta sauce onto uncooked dough, coating evenly. Bake for 8 minutes, remove, and add all other ingredients. Repeat with second pizza. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted and bubbly and crust is golden brown. For best results, rotate pizzas between top and bottom oven racks halfway through. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Top with Pecorino Romano cheese.
Let the kids join in on this simple, fun recipe... It's okay to get your hands messy!